Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- According to reports, India's main military R&D agency, the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO), will halt missile testing at Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha during the mass nesting season of Olive Ridley Sea turtles.
About Wheeler Island
- Wheeler Island, formerly known as Abdul Kalam Island, is an island off the coast of Odisha.
- The island was renamed to commemorate the late President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and inspire young people to pursue scientific careers.
- It is the only location in India with an integrated test range and a missile testing facility, and it is located on this island.
- All indigenous missiles, including as the Akash missile, Agni missile, and Prithvi Missile, are tested here.
- The island, which is 2 kilometres long and 390 acres in size, is essentially a soil deposit in the Bay of Bengal.
Key Facts about the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO):
- It is the Ministry of Defence's R&D wing, to empower India with cutting-edge defence technology and the mission of achieving self-reliance in vital defence technologies and systems.
- It is the largest research organization in India.
- The Defence Science Organisation (DSO) was founded in 1958 by the merger of the Indian Army's previously operational Technical Development Establishments (TDEs) with the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP).
- The headquarters are in New Delhi.
- It features a network of laboratories dedicated to developing defense technology in areas such as aeronautics, weaponry, electronics, ground combat engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and naval systems.
Which of the following states has Abdul Kalam Island, formerly known as Wheeler Island, off its coast?
A) West Bengal
B) Andhra Pradesh