PRUSSIAN BLUE INSOLUBLE FORMULATIONS
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The manufacturing and marketing licenses for the commercial use of Prussian blue insoluble formulations have been granted to Scott-Edil Pharmacia Limited, Himachal Pradesh and Skanttr Lifescience, Gujarat by Drugs Controller General of India.
- Prussian blue is an insoluble radioactive metalchelating agent and absorbent. It acts by ion exchange, adsorption, and mechanical trapping within the crystal structure and has a very high affinity for radioactive and non-radioactive caesium and thallium.
- INSOLUBLE PRUSSIAN BLUE is used to remove certain radioactive materials from the body after radiation exposure. It will speed up the removal of cesium and thallium from the body, but it may not prevent all the problems associated with radiation exposure.
- The formulations are used for the decontamination of Cesium and Thallium and its Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API). It is one of the critical medicines listed by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for radiological and nuclear emergencies.
- The drug -- 'Prussian Blue' insoluble formulations -- was developed under the Technology Development Fund (TDF).
[Note: The TDF was launched primarily for creating an ecosystem for promoting self-reliance by building indigenous state-of-the-art systems for defense applications].
PRELIMS PRACTICE QUESTION
Q. Choose the correct answer with reference to the following statements.
A. Prussian blue is an insoluble radioactive metal chelating agent and absorbent.
B. The formulations are used for the decontamination of Cesium and Thallium and its Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API).
1) A only
2) B only
3) Both A and B
4) Neither A nor B