“One Nation One Standard” mission
GS PAPER II: Welfare Schemes for Vulnerable Sections of the population by the Centre and States and the Performance of these Schemes; Mechanisms, Laws, Institutions and Bodies constituted for the Protection and Betterment of these Vulnerable Sections.
Context: RDSO ( Research Design & Standards Organization) becomes the FIRST Institution to be declared SDO under one "One Nation One Standard" mission on BIS ( Bureau of Indian Standards)
"One Nation One Standard" mission
- It is an initiative of two organizations under GOI.
- It is going to set a template for all the rest of leading research and standard development organizations in the country to follow and adapt World Class Standards.
- To attain “ Nation One Standard” vision of Govt. of India, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the National Standards Body, has launched a scheme which provides for “Recognition of SDO”.
- Through this scheme, BIS aims at aggregating and integrating the existing capabilities and dedicated domain specific expertise available with various organizations in the country engaged in standards development in their specific sectors, and enable convergence of all standard development activities in the country resulting in “One National Standard for One Subject”.
- The onus of complying with the terms and conditions, which entail conformance to the established Six principles of Standardization with greater emphasis on maintaining Transparency, Openness, Impartiality, Effectiveness, Coherence and Development Dimension, in the process of Standard making, will improve the overall confidence and trust of Industry and Technology Developers in the standards setting body.
- It will also help in harmonizing the standardization activity thereby providing opportunity for greater participation of all stakeholders in formulation & implementation of National Standards and creating in the long run, a Brand India identity for quality of product manufactured inter the country.
- Participatory approach to Development of standards involving all stake holders in the process of standard making from the very early stages is set to reduce the time between development of standards and their ground adaptation or user utilisation.
- The initiative set to usher in more faster transition from development of technology & innovation stage to actual use on ground.