24th May, 2023 Geography
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- China has started building a new link road and helipad at different locations like Poling Jindu and Sarang -- just opposite to India’s Niti Pass.
- Niti Valley is a remote valley located in the northernmost region of Uttarakhand, India at a height of 3, 600 m.
- Nestled within the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve, it is close to the Chinese border and Niti is the last village in the valley before the border with south Tibet.
- The Niti Pass was an ancient trade route between India and Tibet, and it was sealed after the 1962 Sino-Indian War.
- Since then, the border has remained sealed.
- The villages in the valley include Lata, Kaga, Dronagiri, Garpak, Malari, Bampa, Gamshali and Niti.
- They are mostly inhabited by Bhotiyas of Uttarakhand of Chamoli district, namely Marchas, a community of Mongoloid origin, and Tolcchas, both known as Rongpa.
Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Niti Valley is a remote valley located in the northernmost region of Himachal Pradesh.
2. The Niti Pass was an ancient trade route between India and Tibet.
Which of the above statements is/are true?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer: b- Only 2