i-ATS (Indigenous-Automatic Train Supervision) system
23rd February, 2023 Economy
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- India achieved another milestone by launching the first ever indigenously developed Train Control and Supervision System.
- The i-ATS (Indigenous-Automatic Train Supervision) system has been launched by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on its first corridor i.e. Red line (from Rithala to Shaheed Sthal).
- The system called i-ATS (Indigenous - Automatic Train Supervision) system has been jointly developed by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) under the Government of India's 'AatmaNirbhar Bharat' initiative for the Metro Rail Transit System.
- With the launch of i-ATS, India becomes the sixth country that has its own ATS products after France, Germany, Japan, Canada, and China.
What is ATS?
- The ATS, which stands for “Automatic Train Supervision,” is a computer system that keeps track of how railroads work.
- The Automatic Train Supervision system controls the speed so that the least amount of energy is used for a given trip time. In addition, the system makes smooth changes in speed. Thus, this makes passengers’ journeys considerably better.
- The job of the driver is flexible so that he or she helps passengers if a need arises. Trains with ATS no longer need to be staffed all the time, which can lower costs for staff.
- With this development, the country has moved a step forward for an indigenously built CBTC (Communication Based Train Control) based signalling system for the Metro railway.
- Note: CBTC is one such modern, radio communication-based signalling system which enables high resolution and real- time train control information, which increases the line capacity by safely reducing the distance (headway) between trains travelling on the same line, and minimizes the numbers of trackside equipment.