Horticulture Cluster Development Programme (CDP)
GS PAPER III: Indian Economy and issues relating to Planning, Mobilization of Resources, Growth, Development and Employment.
Context: To ensure holistic growth of horticulture, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare launched the Horticulture Cluster Development Programme (CDP).
Horticulture Cluster Development Programme
- It is a central sector programme implemented by the National Horticulture Board (NHB) of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
- CDP aims at growing and developing identified horticulture clusters to make them globally competitive.
- In a pilot phase, the programme will be implemented in 12 horticulture clusters out of the total 53 clusters selected for the programme.
- CDP will benefit about 10 lakh farmers and related stakeholders of the value chain.
- The programme is expected to converge with other initiatives of the Government such as the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund which is a medium - long term financing facility for investment in projects for post-harvest management infrastructure and community farming assets and will leverage the central sector scheme of the Ministry for Formation and Promotion of 10,000 Farmers Producer Organisations (FPOs).