Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, was introduced in the Lok Sabha. The Bill seeks to convert the National Rail and Transportation University, a deemed-to-be-university, into Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya, an autonomous central universi
- The Bill seeks to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009, inter alia, to provide for the establishment of Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya as a body corporate under the said Act.
- Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya or university will carry out critically-needed research and development by creating innovative technologies to encourage local manufacturing and substitute imports of expensive technology, equipment and products.
- Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya aims to address the need of talent in the strategically important and expanding transportation sector and meet the demand for trained talent to fuel the growth and expansion of the sector.
- The university will also take additional measures for providing high quality teaching, research and skill development in diverse disciplines related to transportation, technology and management including establishing centres in India and abroad.
PM Gati Shakti
The Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya or University is named after the government’s flagship Rs 100 lakh crore PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan for multi-modal connectivity.
The Gati Shakti Master Plan is essentially a digital platform bringing together 16 ministries, including roadways and railways for integrated planning and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects.
It seeks to incorporate infrastructure schemes of various ministries and state governments such as Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry and land ports, UDAN.
- The proposed University will reverse brain drain and create critical capability and capacity by developing masters and doctoral degrees in transportation.
- It will go a long way in making the nation self-reliant in the transportation sector through its programs for skilling and digitising India.