BARA LACHA LA PASS
22nd May, 2023 Geography
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has rescued 76 tourists including seven children stranded at Baralacha La Pass in Lahaul and Spiti district.
- Bara-lacha la is a high mountain pass in the Zanskar range of Northern-India.
- It connects Lahaul district in Himachal Pradesh to Leh district in Ladakh.
- The two headwaters of the Chenab River, Chandra and Bhaga, originate near the Baralacha Pass.
- The Bhaga river originates from Surya taal lake, which is situated a few of kilometers from the pass towards Manali.
- The Chandra originates from glacier in this region. The native name of Chenab, "Chandrabhaga", represents the union of Chandra and Bhaga rivers downstream.
- The pass also acts as a water-divide between the Bhaga river and the Yunam river.
Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Bara-lacha la is a high mountain pass in the Zanskar range.
2. The pass also acts as a water divide between the Bhaga river and the Yunam river.
Which of the above statements are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer: d