23rd October, 2021 Geography
- Recently, airstrikes hit the capital of Ethiopia’s Tigray region in an ongoing internal armed conflict.
- Tigray is the northernmost regional state in Ethiopia. Capital and largest city is Mekelle
- Tigray is bordered by Eritrea to the north, Sudan to the west, the Amhara Region to the south and the Afar Region to the east and southeast.
- Tigray region is known for its mountainous terrains that have often helped the people protect their territory from invaders, such as the Greeks, the Turkish, and the Italians.
- The Tigray Region is the homeland of the Tigrayan, Irob and Kunama peoples.