1st March, 2023 Science and Technology
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- A team of astronomers has discovered several ‘elusive dying radio galaxies’ using some of the world’s most powerful radio telescopes, including the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT) located in Khodad, Pune.
- A radio galaxy is a galaxy with giant regions of radio emission extending well beyond its visible structure.
- These energetic radio lobes are powered by jets from its active galactic nucleus.
- They have luminosities up to 1039 W at radio wavelengths between 10 MHz and 100 GHz.
- Radio-loud active galactic nuclei (radio galaxies and radio-loud quasars; hereafter RLAGN) are a subset of the active galaxy population in which accretion onto the central supermassive black hole of a galaxy generates a relativistic jet of charged particles (electrons, positrons, and/or protons) and magnetic field.
Read about GMRT: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/gmrt
Q) Which of the following statements is/are correct?
a. A radio galaxy is a galaxy with giant regions of radio emission extending well beyond its visible structure.
b. They have luminosities up to 1039 W at radio wavelengths between 10 MHz and 100 GHz.
I. Only a
II. Only b
III. Both a and b
IV. Neither a nor b
Answer: Option III