PANDIT DEENDAYAL UPADHYAY NATIONAL WELFARE FUND FOR SPORTSPERSONS
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: PIB
Context: The Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons (PDUNWFS) is aimed at supporting outstanding sportspersons, coaches, and their family members who are facing financial difficulties, particularly those living in indigent circumstances.
- The Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons (PDUNWFS) is a government scheme that serves as a financial assistance program aimed at supporting outstanding sportspersons, coaches, and their family members who are facing financial difficulties, particularly those living in indigent circumstances.
- The primary objective of this scheme is to provide financial aid for various purposes related to sports and athlete well-being.
- The fund may be utilized to improve the living conditions of sportspersons and their families. This could involve assistance for basic needs, housing, or other aspects of their daily lives.
- PDUNWFS can be used to cover medical expenses for sportspersons, coaches, or their family members. This includes expenses related to injuries or illnesses that may occur during sports activities.
- In cases where sportspersons sustain injuries while training or competing, the fund can provide financial support to cover the costs of treatment, rehabilitation, and recovery.
- The scheme helps sportspersons acquire the necessary sports equipment and gear needed for their training and competitions. This ensures that they have access to quality equipment to enhance their performance.
- PDUNWFS assists sportspersons in participating in national and international sports events. This includes covering expenses related to travel, accommodation, competition fees, and other associated costs.
By addressing various aspects of an athlete's journey, the PDUNWFS aims to alleviate financial barriers and support individuals who have demonstrated exceptional talent in sports but may lack the financial means to fully develop their potential. This scheme plays a crucial role in nurturing sporting talent in India and enabling athletes to compete at the highest levels of competition, both nationally and internationally.
Must Read Articles:
SPORTS GOVERNANCE IN INDIA: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/sports-governance-in-india
Q. Consider the following statements in the context of the Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons (PDUNWFS):
Statement 1: The PDUNWFS scheme primarily aims to provide financial assistance to coaches and their families.
Statement 2: The fund can cover expenses related to treatment and rehabilitation for sportspersons who sustain injuries during training or competitions.
Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?
A) Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct and Statement-2 is the correct explanation for Statement-1
B) Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct and Statement-2 is not the correct explanation for Statement-1
C) Statement-1 is correct but Statement-2 is incorrect
D) Statement-1 is incorrect but Statement-2 is correct
Statement 1 is incorrect because the primary aim of the PDUNWFS scheme is to provide financial assistance to sportspersons, not coaches.
Statement 2 correctly describes the fund's coverage of expenses related to injury treatment and rehabilitation for sportspersons.