CENTRE, ASSAM PEACE DEAL WITH ULFA
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.business-standard.com
Context: The peace accord signed by the pro-talks faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) with the governments at the Centre and the state of Assam marks a significant milestone in efforts to bring an end to decades of insurgency in the region.
Historic Peace Agreement
- The accord was signed in New Delhi, with the Union Home Minister, Assam Chief Minister and ULFA representatives present. It signifies a crucial step towards peace and development in Assam and the North-East.
- ULFA has agreed to renounce violence, disarm, disband the armed organization, vacate their occupied camps, and participate in the peaceful democratic process established by law. This commitment aims to ensure the integrity of the country and marks a shift towards non-violent engagement.
Government's Efforts and Achievements
- The Union Home Minister highlighted the efforts made by the Union government to bridge the gap between Delhi and the North-East. He cited nine peace and border-related agreements signed in the last five years and emphasized the significant decrease in violent incidents and casualties in Assam since 2014.
- The peace agreement encompasses a comprehensive package for the all-round development of Assam. It includes provisions for various developmental projects and a commitment to resolving long-standing issues.
Delimitation and Political Inclusion
- The agreement addresses the issue of political insecurity among indigenous people, reserving 97 out of 126 seats for them in the recent delimitation exercise. It ensures the continuation of this principle in future delimitation processes, aiming to address political insecurities.
NRC and Pending Matters
- While the accord refers to the demand for a review of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) due to perceived shortcomings in the previous process, it doesn't draw any conclusions as the matter is pending in the Supreme Court.
- The signing of the peace accord is seen as a significant step towards achieving lasting peace and development in Assam, paving the way for a new era of stability in the region.
Must Read Articles:
TRIBAL INSURGENCIES IN ASSAM: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/tribal-insurgencies-in-assam
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/illegal-immigrant
Q. What historical, social, and political factors have contributed to the emergence and sustenance of tribal insurgencies in Assam, and what strategies could be effective in addressing the root causes of these conflicts?