GS PAPER II: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
Context: Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel launched initiatives to provide major fillip to the SATAT scheme, and help India leap ahead towards a greener tomorrow.
- This included signing of a Cooperation Agreement by Oil and Gas majors including IndianOil, HPCL, BPCL, GAIL and IGL, for the promotion and development of the SATAT (Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation) scheme.
- IndianOil shall act as coordinator under the SATAT scheme and liaison with the Government and other agencies on behalf of Industry members.
- The initiative was launched in October 2018 by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas in association with Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) and Oil Marketing Companies (OMC).
- Aim: To achieve production of 15 MMT of CBG from 5000 plants by 2023.
- It set up Compressed Biogas production plants and make them available in the market to use in automotive fuels by inviting potential entrepreneurs.
- Boost to entrepreneurship, rural economy and employment.
- generate good employment opportunities.
- Reduction in import of natural gas and crude oil.
- Better waste management and reduction in carbon emission.