Op Southern Readiness 2023
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- INS Sunayna was at Seychelles from 10-12 Jul 23 to participate in Op Southern Readiness 2023 conducted by Combined Maritime Forces(CMF)
About Southern Readiness
- Operation Southern Readiness is an annual Exercise of Combined Maritime Forces Exercise.
- INS Sunayna participated in the 2023 Operation Southern Readiness of Combined Maritime Forces Exercise.
- This reinforces the Indian Navy's commitment to maritime security in the Indian Ocean Region and marks the maiden participation of an Indian Navy ship in the CMF exercise.
READ ALL ABOUT INS SUNAYNA: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/ins-sunayna
Combined Maritime Forces (CMF)
- The Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) is a multinational maritime partnership, which exists to uphold the Rules-Based International Order (RBIO) by countering illicit non-state actors on the high seas and promoting security, stability, and prosperity across approximately 3.2 million square miles of international waters, which encompass some of the world’s most important shipping lanes.
- CMF has 38 member nations: Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Djibouti, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, India, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, the Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, Türkiye, UAE, United Kingdom, United States, and Yemen.
- CMF is Commanded by a U.S. Navy Vice Admiral, who also serves as Commander US Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) and US Navy Fifth Fleet. All four commands are co-located at US Naval Support Activity Bahrain.
- CMF’s Deputy Commander is a United Kingdom Royal Navy Commodore.
- Other senior staff roles at CMF’s headquarters are filled by personnel from member nations.
How CMF works?
- CMF nations are united in their desire to uphold the IRBO by protecting the free flow of commerce, improving maritime security, and deterring illicit activity by non-state actors in the CMF Area of Operations.
- CMF is a coalition of the willing and does not proscribe a specific level of participation from any member nation. The contribution from each country, therefore, varies depending on its ability to contribute assets and the availability of those assets at any given time.
- The 38 nations that comprise CMF are not bound by either a fixed political or military mandate. CMF is a flexible organisation. Contributions can vary from the provision of a liaison officer at CMF HQ in Bahrain to the deployment of warships or maritime reconnaissance aircraft
Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Operation Southern Readiness is a biannual Exercise of Combined Maritime Forces Exercise.
2. The Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) is a multinational maritime partnership, which exists to uphold the Rules-Based International Order (RBIO) by countering illicit non-state actors on the high seas.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) None of the above.
Correct Answer: (a) 1 only