15th December, 2023 Environment
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- With the onset of the winter season, hundreds of migratory birds have started arriving at Kazhuveli Bird Sanctuary.
Kazhuveli Bird Sanctuary
- Kazhuveli Bird Sanctuary is a protected area and bird sanctuary located in Villupuram district of Tamil Nadu.
- After Pulicat lake, Kazhuveli, at 5,151.6 hectares, attracts many long-distance migrant birds from Central Asia and Siberia and is believed to be the second-largest brackish lake in southern India.
- Kazhuveli wetland is one of the 94 identified wetlands under the National Wetland Conservation and Management Programme launched by the Union government. The state has three other wetlands Point Calimere, Pallikaranai marsh, and Ousteri lake, under the same programme.
- There are approximately 226 species in Kazhuveli lake, and there are also winter migratory birds.
- An integral aspect of local and world ecology, wetlands retain rainwater, help with flood control, and serve as a drinking water source for humans.