International Big Cat Alliance (IBCA) and the Global Biofuels Alliance (GBA)
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Tanzanian President conveyed approval to join flagship Indian programs like the International Big Cat Alliance (IBCA) and the Global Biofuels Alliance (GBA).
International Big Cat Alliance (IBCA)
- International Big Cat Alliance (IBCA) is a mega global alliance launched by India in April 2023 during the 50th anniversary of Project Tiger.
- The alliance aims at the conservation of the world's seven principal big cats, which include the tiger, lion, snow leopard, leopard, jaguar, puma, and cheetah.
- Through the alliance, the member nations exchange experiences, provide faster assistance to their neighbours and place a strong emphasis on capacity building.
- The Intergovernmental body has 97 countries with many Asian and African countries becoming a part of the alliance.
- Standard operating procedures created by the alliance is used by all members as a guide.
- There is a list of dos and don'ts that will instruct nations on how to stop illegal wildlife trading and poaching.
- The idea holds that once illegal wildlife trade is reduced, poaching will eventually come to an end.
- The IBCA is anticipated to be self-sustaining after the first five years, which will be supported by India's "total grant assistance" of $100 million, through membership fees, contributions from bilateral and multilateral organizations, and the private sector.
- A general assembly consists of all member countries.
- A secretariat and a council with a minimum of seven but a maximum of fifteen member nations are chosen by the general assembly for a five-year term.
- The IBCA secretary-general is appointed by the general assembly for a defined period on the advice of the council.
READ ABOUT GLOBAL BIOFUELS ALLIANCE: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/global-biofuels-alliance
INDIA-TANZANIA RELATIONS: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/india-tanzania-relations
Q. Consider the following statements:
1.International Big Cat Alliance (IBCA) is a mega-global alliance launched by India.
2.A secretariat and a council of the International Big Cat Alliance with a minimum of seven but a maximum of fifteen member nations are chosen by the general assembly for a five-year term.
3.India, Australia, and the US are the founding members of the Global Biofuels Alliance.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
A) 1 and 3 only
B) 2 only
C) 3 only
Answer: C) 3 only
India, Brazil, and the US are the founding members of the Global Biofuels Alliance.