GST AMNESTY SCHEME
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: rajneetpg2022.com
Context: The Finance Ministry has introduced an amnesty scheme for filing appeals against Goods and Services Tax (GST) demand orders, aiming to help entities that missed the appeal deadline due to various reasons.
About the GST Amnesty Scheme
- The amnesty scheme introduced by the Finance Ministry is open until January 31, 2024.
- It allows taxpayers who missed the appeal deadline (March 31, 2023) for orders issued by tax officers to submit their appeals, providing them an opportunity to resolve their tax disputes.
- It extends the appeal filing period beyond the previous strict three-month window, providing a more flexible timeline for taxpayers to file their appeals against assessment orders seeking taxes.
- The GST Council has approved this initiative, which requires entities to pre-deposit 12.5% of the tax demand, an increase from the previous 10%, to benefit from the scheme.
- It offers benefits such as exemptions for female employees earning less than Rs. 25,000, allowing one late payment of Rs. 1,000 for each return, and a one-time break for non-filers to catch up on their GST filings.
- Taxation experts and professionals view this scheme positively. They believe it will serve as a crucial lifeline for individuals who missed the appeal deadline due to administrative errors or unforeseen circumstances.
- This initiative is expected to encourage improved compliance among taxpayers, foster better cooperation with tax authorities, and provide a more efficient mechanism for dispute resolution.
- The streamlined appeal process offered by the scheme has the potential to reduce the burden on the legal system, resulting in fewer prolonged litigations. This benefits both taxpayers and the tax administration.
Must Read Articles:
GST COLLECTION: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/gst-collection
GST COLLECTION SURGE: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/gst-collection-surge
50th MEETING OF GST COUNCIL: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/50th-meeting-of-gst-council
Q. What are the key features of India's Goods and Services Tax (GST) system, and how has it impacted the country's economy and businesses since its implementation?