8th March, 2022 Economy
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Registrations on e-Shram portal, have reached 25 crore - Ministry for Labour and Employment.
- Ministry of Labour & Employment developed eSHRAM portal for creating a National Database of Unorganized Workers (NDUW) . The portal was launched in 2021.
- Aim: Welfare of workers in the unorganized sector who are not members of the EPFO or ESIC.
- Registered members will be eligible for a variety of benefits after signing up for the Shramik Yojana and receiving an e-Shram card.
- Aside from that, workers will benefit from the government's adoption of social security programs.
Who is Unorganised Worker?
Any worker who is a home based-worker, self-employed worker or a wage worker in the unorganised sector including a worker in the organised sector who is not a member of ESIC or EPFO or not a Govt. employee is called an Unorganised Worker.
What is e-Shram Card?
- An eShram Card will be issued to workers who successfully register for the e-Shram Portal. On that card, there will be a 12-digit UAN number.
- Self-registered workers who use the e-Shram portal do not need to apply individually for any other government social welfare program.
What is a UAN number?
- UAN is a 12-digit number uniquely assigned to each unorganized worker after registration on the portal.
- It will be a permanent number once assigned and will remain unchanged for the worker’s life.
Documents required for registration on the E-Shram portal:
- Aadhaar number
- Aadhar linked to an active mobile number
- Bank account details
- Age must be between 16-59 years
Objectives of e-SHRAM Portal:
- Creation of a centralized database of all unorganized workers (UWs) including Construction Workers, Migrant Workers, Gig and Platform workers, Street Vendors, Domestic Workers, Agriculture Workers, etc., to be seeded with Aadhaar.
- To improve the implementation efficiency of the social security services for the unorganized workers.
- Sharing of information in respect of registered unorganised workers with various stakeholders such as Ministries/ Departments/ Boards/ Agencies/ Organisations of the Central & State Governments through APIs for delivery of various social security and welfare schemes being administered by them.
- Portability of the social security and welfare benefits to the migrant and construction workers.
- Providing a comprehensive database to Central and State Governments for tackling any National Crises like COVID-19 in future.