Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: India celebrates Army Day on January 15 every year to commemorate the achievements of the first Indian Commander in Chief of the Indian Army — General (later Field Marshal) K.M. Cariappa.
- On this day, Cariappa, who led Indian forces to victory in the 1947 war, took over the command of the Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief in 1949 and became the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of Independent India.
- The Army Day is celebrated every year to honour Cariappa and the defence forces.
- Until last year, the main Army Day parade was held at the Cariappa Parade ground in Delhi where Service Chiefs paid homage to the Indian Army
Army Day 2023:
- As part of an initiative to take major events to other parts of the country, away from the national capital region, the 75th Army Day was held in Bengaluru.
- The rationale behind the move is to bring about increased visibility of these events and secure greater engagement with the local population.
- In 2022, the Indian Army’s theme for the event was “In Stride with the Future”. It was seen as an acknowledgement of the “increasingly critical role played by niche and disruptive technologies in modern warfare”.