Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
INS Kavaratti, indigenously designed & built ASW Corvette, arrived at Batam, Indonesia to participate in the 4th edition of India-Indonesia Bilateral exercise Samudra Shakti-23.
- An Indian Navy Dornier Maritime Patrol aircraft and Chetak helicopter is also participating.
- Exercise Samudra Shakti is aimed at enhancing interoperability, jointness and mutual cooperation between both the navies.
- Samudra Shakti -23 will showcase the high level of interoperability between the two navies and their shared commitment towards peace and stability in the region.
About INS Kavaratti (P31)
- It is an anti-submarine warfare corvette of the Indian Navy built under Project 28.
- It is the last of four Kamorta-class corvettes.
- The ship was built by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers, Kolkata, and launched in 2015.
- Kavaratti represents a leap forward in the Navy's attempts at indigenisation with as much as 90% of its content drawn from India itself.
- It was commissioned into the Navy in 2020.
About Kamorta-class/Project 28
- The Kamorta-class corvettes or Project 28 are a class of anti-submarine warfare stealth corvettes currently in service with the Indian Navy.
- Built at Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata, they are the first anti-submarine warfare stealth corvettes to be built in India.
- Project 28 was approved in 2003, with construction of the lead ship, INS Kamorta commencing on 12 August 2005.
- All of the four corvettes, INS Kamorta, INS Kadmatt, INS Kiltan and INS Kavaratti were commissioned in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2020 respectively.
- All the ships names of the class are reincarnations of ships from the previous Arnala-class corvetteswhich are considered to be the spiritual predecessors of the Kamorta
Q) Which of the following statements with reference to Project 28 is/are correct?
1. Kamorta class are a class of anti-submarine warfare stealth corvettes currently in service with the Indian Navy.
2. They are the first anti-submarine warfare stealth corvettes to be built in India.
3. All the ships names of the class are reincarnations of ships from the previous Arnala-class corvettes.
Correct Answer: 4