Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Malaria is all set to become a notifiable disease across India, with Bihar, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Meghalaya too in the process of putting this vector-borne disease in the category.
- Malaria is a potentially life-threatening disease caused by parasites (Plasmodium Vivax, Plasmodium Falciparum, Plasmodium Malariae and Plasmodium Ovale).
- It is transmitted through the bite of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes.
- Currently, Malaria is a notifiable disease in 33 States and Union Territories in India.
- India was the only high-burden, high-impact country in the South- East Asia region to report a decline in malaria cases in 2020 as compared to 2019.
- But India witnessed an 1% decline in malaria cases and 83.36% decline in deaths during 2015-2022.
READ ABOUT MALARIA: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/malaria-42
Q. India has a vision of a malaria-free country by 2027 and elimination by 2030. How is India moving towards achieving malaria elimination?