Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- India’s latest warship, Mahendragiri, will be launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai, on September 1, the Indian Navy said.
- Mahendragiri, named after a mountain peak in the eastern Ghats located in Odisha, is the seventh ship of the Project 17A frigates.
- Project 17 Alpha frigates (P-17A) were launched by the Indian Navy in 2019.
- The first ship under P17A borrows its name from an old frigate of the Navy, INS Nilgiri that was named after Nilgiri Hills.
- Six other ships of Project 17 A were called -- 'Nilgiri', 'Himgiri', 'Udaygiri', 'Dunagiri, 'Taragiri' and 'Vindhyagiri'.
- The newly christened Mahendragiri is a technologically advanced warship and stands as a symbol of India's determination to embrace its rich naval heritage while propelling itself towards a future of indigenous defence capabilities."
- Aligning with the country's resolute commitment to the 'Aatma Nirbharata', a substantial 75% of the orders for equipment and systems for Project 17A ships including Mahendragiri have been placed by indigenous firms, including micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- The launch of Mahendragiri is an apt testament to the incredible progress our nation has made in building a self-reliant naval force.
- Mahendragiri, is a mountain in Rayagada block of the district of Gajapati, Odisha, India.
- It is situated amongst the Eastern Ghats at an elevation of 1,501 metres (4,925 ft).
- It is second biodiversity Heritage Site of Odisha.
- This is the second highest mountain peak of Odisha after Deomali in Koraput district.
- Mahendragiri hill and its surrounding areas are recognized as a biodiversity hot spot due to numerous medicinal plants and other species that are found here.
Q. Consider the following statements:
1. Mahendragiri, is a mountain in Tamil Nadu.
2. It is situated amongst the Eastern Ghats at an elevation of 1,501 metres (4,925 ft).
3. This is the highest mountain peak of Tamil Nadu.
4. Mahendragiri hill and its surrounding areas are recognized as a biodiversity hot spot.
How many of the above are correct?
A) Only 1
B) Only 2
C) Only 3
Answer: B) Only 2