LORA WEAPON SYSTEM
24th February, 2023 Security
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) has signed an MoU with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for domestic manufacture and supply of its LORA Weapon System for the Indian Tri-services.
- The state-of-the-art strategic weapon system weapon will be manufactured by BEL, as the prime contractor, based on the workshare arrangement with IAI.
- The MoU is an outcome of the growing partnership between India and Israel in the field of high technology strategic defence systems, and is in line with the Government of India’s Make in India initiative for major weapon systems.
- Developed by IAI’s MALAM division, LORA is a sea-to-ground and ground-to-ground system which comprises a long-range ballistic missile, a unique launcher, a command and control system, and a ground/marine support system.
- The LORA system provides ballistic assault capabilities for multiple ranges with a precision level of 10 meters CEP.
- LORA ("Long Range Attack") is a theater quasi-ballistic missile produced in Israel.
- It has a range of 400 kilometres (250 mi) and a CEP of 10 metres when using a combination of GPS and TV for terminal guidance.
- It can be ship-launched from inside of a standard Intermodal container as well as land-launched.
- LORA was used in the final days of the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war.