21st February, 2023 Security
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: INS Nireekshak awarded on-the-spot chief of the naval staff unit citation for deep sea diving & undertaking salvage ops under the most challenging circumstances
- The CNS awarded 'on the spot' Unit Citation to the ship, a first in Indian Navy.
- Nireekshak had also recently completed a solemn dive off Gujarat coast to pay homage by laying wreath at 80 m depth, the resting site of erstwhile Khukri which sank during 1971 war.
- INS Nireekshak is a Dive Support and Submarine Rescue Vessel of Indian Navy.
- Built by Mazgaon Shipbuilders in 1985, the ship has been in service with the Navy since 1989 and was commissioned in the year 1995.
- INS Nireekshak has been part of various diving operations and holds the record for the deepest dive carried out in the country to a depth of 257 m.