GS PAPER III: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
Context: Indian Institute of Technology in Punjab’s Ropar has developed a first-of-its-kind Internet of Things (IoT) device - AmbiTag.
- This device records real-time ambient temperature during the transportation of perishable products, body organs, and blood, vaccines, etc.
- AmbiTag is a USB-shaped device that continuously records the temperature of its immediate surroundings from -40℃ to 80℃ in any time zone for a full 90 days on a single charge.
- AmbiTag has a range of inbuilt features to customise logging intervals, time zone, and alarms.
- The device priced below ₹1000 to ensure the broader use of the device in different applications.
- It generates an alert when the temperature goes beyond a pre-set The recorded data can be retrieved in user-defined format by connecting the USB with any computer.
- The AmbiTag temperature data log advises the user whether the transported item is usable or the cold chain has been compromised during the transportation.
- This information is particularly critical for vaccines, organs, and blood transportation in the Indian scenario.
- AmbiTag is waterproof and monitors ambient temperature during the transportation of vaccines, including Covid-19, medicines, blood samples, food and dairy products, meat products, and animal semen.
- So far, such devices are being imported by India in a massive quantity from other countries, such as; Singapore, Hong Kong, Ireland, and China.
- The device will be made available to all companies involved in COVID-19 vaccine transportation from production facilities to the last mile vaccination centers in the country at the production cost of ₹