What is Carbon Watch?
Context: Chandigarh became the first state or Union Territory in India to launch Carbon Watch, a mobile application to assess the carbon footprint of an individual.
- Although the app can be accessed by everyone, it has specific options for the residents of Chandigarh to compile a detailed study.
- The application can be downloaded through a QR code in Android supported smart cell phones.
- Carbon footprint is the amount of greenhouse gases-especially carbon dioxide-released into the atmosphere by a particular human activity.
How does the app Carbon Watch work?
- As a person downloads the application, they will need to fill details in four parts- Water, Energy, Waste Generation and Transport (Vehicular movement).
- In the category of Water, the person will be required to inform about the consumption of water.
- In the Energy category, the details regarding the electricity units consumed every month at the house, monthly bill etc. and usage of solar energy will have to be furnished.
- In the Waste category, the individual will need to inform about the waste generation on their part and their family.
- In the transport section, the individual will have to inform them about the mode of transport used by them- four wheeler, two-wheeler or bicycle.