PROGRESS UNDER PRADHAN MANTRI KRISHI SINCHAYEE YOJANA
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Overview of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- PMKSY launched in 2015-16 to enhance physical access of water on farms and expand cultivable areas under assured irrigation.
- Aims to improve on-farm water use efficiency and introduce sustainable water conservation practices.
Components of PMKSY
- PMKSY is an umbrella scheme consisting of two major components:
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP)
- Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP)
- HKKP further divided into four sub-components:
- Command Area Development & Water Management (CAD&WM)
- Surface Minor Irrigation (SMI)
- Repair, Renovation, and Restoration (RRR) of Water Bodies
- Ground Water (GW) Development (approval till 2021-2022 only, ongoing works after that)
Changes and Expansion
- In 2016, CAD&WM sub-component of HKKP were taken up for pari passu implementation with AIBP.
- Watershed Development component (WDC) and Per Drop More Crop (PDMC) were also part of PMKSY during 2016-2021, now implemented separately.
Progress and Targets
- Annexure-I provides details of physical and financial progress made under PMKSY in the last three years, State-wise.
- For 2021-2026, PMKSY-HKKP aims to create 4.5 lakh hectares of irrigation potential through SMI and RRR of water bodies.
- Ground water component targets completion of ongoing projects with irrigation potential of 82,290 hectare.
- CAD&WM component targets completion of 85 ongoing projects with coverage of cultivable command area of 30.23 lakh hectare.
Monitoring and Quality Control
- State Governments are mandated to monitor and ensure quality control of irrigation projects implemented with PMKSY funding.
- Projects are regularly monitored by technical arms of the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Dedicated Project Management Unit (PMU) under the Ministry monitors physical and financial progress through a dedicated dashboard and MIS.
Evaluation and Review
- Third-party evaluation of completed projects undertaken by the Ministry on a sample basis.
- Progress of projects monitored at the Ministry of Jal Shakti level and other government agencies maintaining MIS and dashboard.
Q) Consider the following statements:
Select the correct statement using the codes below:
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2