ASEAN-INDIA MARITIME EXERCISE
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- In a step further in the expanding India-ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) military cooperation, the maiden ASEAN-India Maritime Exercise (AIME) is set to begin, with war games in South China Sea.
- The Navy chief is in Singapore for the exercise as well as to take part in the International Maritime Defence Exhibition (IMDEX-23) and International Maritime Security Conference (IMSC) being hosted by Singapore.
IMDEX-23 AND IMSC
- AIME-2023 will provide an opportunity for Indian Navy and ASEAN navies to work together closely and conduct seamless operations in the maritime domain.
Recent developments in India-ASEAN relations
- The maiden India-ASEAN defence ministers’ meeting was held in 2022 at Siem Reap, Cambodia to commemorate the 30th anniversary of India-ASEAN relations.
- The year 2022 has also been designated as the ‘ASEAN-India Friendship Year’.
- The India-ASEAN relationship was elevated to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership during the ASEAN-India Summit held in Cambodia in 2022.
- At the special two-day ASEAN-India Foreign Ministers' Meeting (SAIFMM), the leaders agreed to cooperate in building more robust air and maritime connectivity along with working toward enhancing cooperation in the field of defence.
- ADMM-Plus meeting also took place. The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners - Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States (collectively referred to as the "Plus Countries") - to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
MUST READ ARTICLES:
Q)The India-ASEAN relationship was elevated to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership during the ASEAN-India Summit held in Cambodia in 2022. Discuss the irritants in the India-ASEAN relations and various steps that have been taken to overcome them. (250 words)