MONUMENT MITRA SCHEME
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: The government will hand over around 1,000 monuments under the control of the Archaeological Survey of India to the private sector for their upkeep under the Monument Mitra Scheme
- Corporate entities will take over these monuments as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility. Under the scheme, monument amenities will be revamped by the private sector.
- The government has set the target to hand over 500 sites under the revamped Monument Mitra Scheme by the end of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav on15 August 2023
What is ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project?
- The Ministry of Tourism in close collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, Archeological Survey of India (ASI), State/ UT Governments and the Private/ Public sector companies/ Trusts/ NGOs/ Individuals, etc. envisages developing, upgrading and maintaining amenities at heritage sites, monuments and tourist sites.
- This is to make the facilities/amenities tourist-friendly and increase the site’s tourism potential by enhancing the tourist experience in a planned and phased manner.
- Public / Private sector companies, etc. can partner in the project by putting forth a proposal for adopting heritage/ natural / tourist sites as per their interest and viability under the criteria provided in the project guidelines
When was the ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project launched?
The project Adopt a Heritage: ‘Apni Dharohar Apni Pehchaan’ was launched by the Hon'ble President of India on 27th September 2017 on the occasion of World Tourism Day.
Who is eligible for adopting a heritage site / monument under the project?
Private and Public Sector Companies, Trusts, NGOs and Individuals are eligible for adopting heritage site (s)/ monument (s) under this project. However, the finalization of this interest, will depend on their evaluation of their proposal and other criteria provided under the project guidelines.
What are the objectives of the project?
The objectives of the project are :
- Developing basic tourism infrastructure in and around heritage sites, monuments, natural sites and tourist sites.
- Develop facilities and amenities to improve the tourist experience at heritage sites, monuments, natural sites and tourist sites.
- Promote cultural and heritage value of the country and develop avenues to create awareness about the heritage/natural/tourist sites in the country
- Develop and promote sustainable tourism infrastructure and ensure proper Operations and Maintenance therein.
- Develop employment opportunities and support livelihoods of local communities at the heritage, natural and tourist sites.
Who is Monument Mitra?
- Successful bidders selected for adopting heritage, natural, tourist sites / monuments by the Oversight and Vision Committee shall be called as Monument Mitras.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will be signed between Monument Mitra, Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture, Archaeological Survey of India and any other concerned stakeholder as applicable for the site.