23rd July, 2021 International Relations
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar addressed the 11th Mekong-Ganga Cooperation meeting comprising six countries — India, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam
- He also called for a "collective and collaborative" response to effectively deal with coronavirus pandemic, saying the virus does not respect national boundaries.
- The MGC initiative comprising six countries — India, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.
- It was launched in 2000 to boost cooperation in a range of areas including connectivity, tourism and culture.
- For India, the Mekong region is of great importance. India seeks multi-dimensional engagement with the Mekong countries.
- India aim to promote connectivity in the region in the broadest sense of the term including not just physical, but also digital, economic, and people-to-people connectivity.
- Mekong Ganga Cooperation stands on a strong foundation of shared geographical, historical and civilizational ties among the six countries.