15th May, 2023 Geography
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Heatwave conditions have been declared by the India Meteorological Department (IMD) in various regions of Maharashtra, including Mumbai, Palghar, Thane, Konkan, central Maharashtra, and Vidarbha.
- The Konkan extends throughout the western coasts of Maharashtra, Goa and Karnataka.
- It is bounded by the Western Ghatsmountain range (also known as Sahyadri) in the east, the Arabian Sea in the west, the Daman Ganga River in the north and the River Aghanashini in the south.
- The Gangavalli flows in the district of Uttara Kannadain present-day Karnataka. Its northern bank constitutes the southernmost portion of Konkan. The towns of Karwar, Ankola, Kumta, Honavar and Bhatkal fall within the Konkan coast.
- The largest city on the Konkan coast is Mumbai, the state capital of Maharashtra. Districts on the Konkan coast are, from north to south:
- Tribal communities include the Katkari, Thakar, Konkana, Warli and Mahadev Koli, mainly found in the northern and central parts of Konkan.
Q. Which of the following districts are a part of the Konkan Region?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2 and 3
(c) 1 , 2 and 3 only
(d) All of the above.
Correct Answer: c
READ ABOUT HEAT WAVES: https://www.iasgyan.in/rstv/heat-waves-and-climate-change