Indian Meteorological Department
Context: The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) issued a severe heat wave warning for districts of Saurashtra including Porbandar, Junagadh and Gir Somnath.
Severe Heat Wave: The severe heat wave with a departure as high as 7.5 degrees Celsius from the normal temperature is attributed to the changed wind pattern which is north easterly to easterly dry and warm winds along the coastal areas.
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India.
- It is the principal agency responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting and seismology.
- IMD is headquartered in Delhi and operates hundreds of observation stations across India and Antarctica.
- Regional offices are at Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Nagpur, Guwahati and New Delhi.
- IMD operates a network of hundreds of surface and glacial observatories, Upper Air (high altitude) stations, ozone and radiation observatories and meteorological radar stations.
- Additional data is received from India's constellation of satellites, such as Kalpana-1, Megha-Tropiques and instruments on board the IRS series and the INSAT series of satellites.