15th July, 2021 Health
- Cases of a rare neurological disorder have emerged in the US among people who were vaccinated with the Covid-19 shot made by Johnson and Johnson (J&J), prompting the country’s drug regulator to issue a warning regarding the product.
- Guillain-Barre syndrome is a “rare disorder” in which the body’s immune system attacks the nerves.
- Weakness and tingling in the extremities are the usual symptoms, though they can quickly spread, “eventually paralyzing your whole body”.
- Although it is not known what exactly causes GBS, patients report symptoms of respiratory or a gastrointestinal infection.
- There is no cure for the disorder but “several treatments can ease symptoms and reduce the duration of the illness”. Most patients fully recover from the disease, whose mortality rate ranges between 4-7 per cent.