Culex or common house mosquitoes
Context: With the change in season and rise in temperature, culex or common house mosquitoes have made a reappearance across the capital.
What are Culex mosquitoes and why is there a need to worry?
- Warmer temperatures are the main reason for the appearance of these mosquitoes.
- Their presence is especially felt more in areas around floodplains in East and South Delhi as it is an ideal condition of breeding.
- Culex mosquitoes are known carriers of some serious diseases. They can fly up to a distance of 1-1.5 km.
- Unlike Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which spread dengue and chikungunya and breed in clean water, culex mosquitoes breed in unclean stagnant water.
How are they harmful?
- Culex mosquitoes are known carriers of Japanese encephalitis, a potentially life-threatening but rare viral disease that causes “acute inflammation” of the brain.
- They breed in dirty, stagnant water.