Advanced Chaff Technology
GS PAPER III: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, Nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
Context: DRDO develops Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard naval ships from missile attack.
About Advanced Chaff Technology
- Chaff is a passive expendable electronic countermeasure technology used worldwide to protect naval ships from enemy’s radar and Radio Frequency (RF) missile seekers.
- The importance of this development lies in the fact that very less quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as decoy to deflect enemy’s missiles for safety of the ships.
- Defence Laboratory Jodhpur, a DRDO laboratory, has indigenously developed three variants of this critical technology —
- Short Range Chaff Rocket,
- Medium Range Chaff Rocket and
- Long Range Chaff Rocket
for meeting Indian Navy’s qualitative requirements.
The development of Advanced Chaff Technology by DRDO lab is another step towards Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- The DRDO has gained the expertise to meet the futuristic threats from adversaries. The technology is being given to the industry for production in large quantities.