18TH ROUND OF TALKS BETWEEN INDIA AND CHINA
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- India and China, under the18th round of India- China Corps Commander Level Meeting, had a frank and in-depth discussion on the resolution of the relevant issues along the LAC in the Western Sector so as to restore peace and tranquillity in the border areas”.
- The India-China Corps Commander-level talks twice have failed to yield any major breakthrough.
- The two sides agreed to stay in close contact to work out mutually acceptable resolution” of remaining issues at the LAC in Eastern Ladakh.
- It was reiterated that “progress in bilateral relations” is conditioned to restoration of peace along with LAC in Eastern Ladakh.
- Both the countries are said to be stuck at negotiations over Demchok and Depsang friction points with China showing reluctance over taking up these two issues in series of boundary resolution talks held post Galwan standoff in May, 2020.
- The previous 17th round of India-China Corps Commander level meeting held in December 2022 too did not throw up any action plan for resolution of the friction points.
MUST READ ARTICLE:
India China Border Talks:
Q) There is a need to move forward on the basis of the consensus previously reached, accelerate the resolution of issues, and reach a mutually acceptable solution at an early date. Discuss the significance of this statement with reference to India China border dispute. (150 words)