Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Indian Army, in collaboration with the United Service Institution of India (USI), recently concluded a hybrid-panel discussion under Project Udbhav.
Project Udbhav Overview
- Initiated by the Indian Army, Project Udbhav seeks to rediscover India's ancient wisdom in statecraft, strategy, diplomacy, and warfare.
- It explores historical narratives in statecraft and strategic thought, encompassing Indigenous Military Systems, Historical Texts, Regional Texts, Thematic Studies, and Kautilya Studies.
- The project aims to bridge the gap between historical and contemporary knowledge.
Aim of Project Udbhav
- Beyond rediscovery, the project aims to develop an indigenous strategic vocabulary deeply rooted in India's philosophical and cultural heritage.
- It strives to integrate age-old wisdom with modern military pedagogy.
- A project on the compilation of Indian stratagems based on ancient texts has been ongoing since 2021.
- A book listing 75 aphorisms from ancient texts has been released.
- The first scholarly outcome is the 2022 publication titled "Paramparik Bhartiya Darshan… Ranniti aur Netriyta ke Shashwat Niyam" (Traditional Indian Philosophy…Eternal Rules of Warfare and Leadership).
- Project Udbhav aims to reintroduce classical teachings into contemporary military and strategic domains.
- It seeks to equip officers with ancient wisdom for application in modern scenarios.
- Additionally, it promotes a deeper understanding of international relations and foreign cultures.
Project Udbhav represents a concerted effort by the Indian Army to tap into India's rich and often overlooked strategic and military heritage. This initiative aims to bridge the past and present, fostering a holistic approach to military and strategic thinking that draws on the wisdom of the ages.
Q. What is the significance of Project Udbhav in the context of the Indian Army's objectives?
a. It aims to forget ancient wisdom and focus on modern strategies.
b. It seeks to create a divide between historical and contemporary knowledge.
c. It aims to draw from India's rich historical heritage for modern military and strategic thinking.
d. It focuses solely on foreign cultures and international relations.