NATIONAL YOUTH PARLIAMENT FESTIVAL
3rd March, 2023 POLITY AND GOVERNANCE
Copyright infringement not intended
Context - The Speaker of Lok Sabha addressed the inaugural session of the National Youth Parliament Festival.
- The Speaker of Lok Sabha addressed the 4th edition of the National Youth Parliament Festival (NYPF) on 2nd march 2023 in the Central Hall of Parliament, New Delhi.
- The speaker urged all to promote a cause ranging from solid waste management, eliminating hunger, gender equality, affordable and clean energy, clean water and sanitation.
National Youth Parliament Festival (NYPF)
- The National Youth Parliament Festival is organized to hear the voice of the youth.
- It is based on the idea given by the Prime Minister in his Mann Ki Baat Address in 2017.
- Taking inspiration from the idea, the 1st edition of NYPF was organized in 2019 with the theme “Be the Voice of New India and Find solutions and Contribute to Policy ''.
- 2nd edition of NYPF was organized with the theme “YUVAAH - Utsah Naye Bharat Ka” through virtual mode which was witnessed by more than 23 lakh youth and stakeholders across the country at District, State and National levels.
- 3rd edition of NYPF was organized with the theme ‘be the voice of New India and find solutions and contribute to Policy’.
- The theme of the 2023 National Youth Parliament Festival is “Ideas for a Better Tomorrow: India for the World”.
Objectives of organizing the National Youth Parliament Festival
- To hear the voice of youth between 18-25 years of age, through deliberations in Youth Parliaments at District, State and National levels.
- To encourage the youth to engage with public issues, understand the common man's point of view, form their opinions and express it articulately.
- To develop and enhance decision-making abilities.
- To develop in them respect and tolerance for the views of others.
- To develop in them an understanding that respect for rules is essential for conducting any discussion systematically and effectively.
- To obtain and document their opinions on the Vision of New India.
- To make available their views to policymakers and implementers to take it forward.
Youth Parliaments will be conducted at three levels:
- District Youth Parliament (DYP) will be conducted through virtual mode at the District level.
- State Youth Parliament (SYP) will be conducted in virtual mode. The youth selected from the District Youth Parliament will participate at the State level in SYP.
- National Youth Parliament (NYP): The youth selected from the State Youth Parliament will participate at the National level in NYP in New Delhi.
- The winners of earlier National Youth Parliament Festivals at the National level may not be eligible to take part in the 4th edition of National Youth Parliament Festivals -2023.
Steps taken by the Government for empowering Youth
- The National Service Scheme (NSS) was launched in 1969 with the primary objective of developing the personality and character of the student youth through voluntary community service.
- The ideological orientation of the NSS is inspired by the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi. Very appropriately, the motto of NSS is “NOT ME, BUT YOU “.
- National Youth Corps (NYC) was set up as a group of disciplined and dedicated youth who have the inclination and spirit to engage in the task of nation-building.
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship outcome-based skill training scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
- The Adolescence Education Programme aims to empower young people with accurate, age-appropriate and culturally relevant information, promote healthy attitudes and develop skills to enable them to respond to real-life situations in positive and responsible ways.
- The National Programme for Youth Adolescent Development (NPYAD) Scheme is provided by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports. NPYAD is a 100% central sector grants-in-aid Scheme.
- Creation and Upgradation of Sports Infrastructure
- Khelo India Centers and Sports Academies
- Fit India Movement