Kisan Sarathi App
17th July, 2021 Agriculture
- Recently, Agriculture Minister launched the Information Communication and Technology (ICT) based platform “Kisan Sarathi App.”
- Through this platform, farmers can interact and avail personalised advisories on agriculture and allied areas directly from the respective scientists of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs).
- The app was launched to facilitate farmers to get 'right information at right time' in their desired language.
- Through this platform, officials at various levels can view and monitor daily activities such as farmer registration, live calls, messages, advisories given and pending.
- Kisan Sarathi initiative will be highly valuable not only in addressing the location-specific information needs of the farmers but also in agricultural extension, education and research activities of ICAR.
Krishi Vigyan Kendra
- KVK is an integral part of the National Agricultural Research System (NARS).
- It aims at assessment of location specific technology modules in agriculture and allied enterprises, through technology assessment, refinement and demonstrations.
- The first KVK was established in 1974 in Pondicherry.
- The KVK scheme is 100% financed by Govt. of India.
Mandate of KVKs
- On-farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Frontline demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
- Capacity development of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills on modern agricultural technologies.
- To work as Knowledge and Resource Centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector in improving the agricultural economy of the district.
- Provide farm advisories using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest to farmers
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is an autonomous body responsible for co-ordinating agricultural education and research in India.
- It reports to the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture.
- The Union Minister of Agriculture serves as its president.
- It is the largest network of agricultural research and education institutes in the world.