SWACHH SURVEKSHAN AWARDS 2023
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: platformtamil.com
Context: The Swachh Survekshan Awards 2023, announced on January 11, 2024, by the President of India, recognize achievements in urban sanitation and cleanliness across 4,500 cities through a survey conducted by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs on 46 indicators, supporting the Swachh Bharat Urban Mission.
Key Highlights of the Awards Ceremony
- Surat (Gujarat) and Indore (Madhya Pradesh) jointly bagged the top spot as the cleanest cities in India. This is the seventh consecutive time that Indore has won this award, while Surat has improved its rank from second to first this year. Both cities have shown exemplary performance in waste management, sanitation, and citizen engagement.
Cleanest City (population less than 1 lakh)
- Saswad (Maharashtra) won the award for the cleanest city among urban centres with a population of less than 1 lakh. Patan (Chhattisgarh) and Lonavala (Maharashtra) were the second and third runners-up, respectively.
- Varanasi and Prayagraj won the top two awards among the Cleanest Ganga Towns, emphasizing the importance of maintaining cleanliness in areas surrounding the Ganga River.
Best Performing State
- Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, and Chhattisgarh won the top three awards for Best Performing State, recognizing their comprehensive efforts in promoting cleanliness.
- Chandigarh walked away with the award for the Best Safaimitra Surakshit Sheher, acknowledging initiatives that prioritize the safety, dignity, and well-being of sanitation workers.
President's Emphasis on Waste Management
- The President highlighted the theme for the year 2023, "Waste to Wealth," and stressed the importance of creating wealth from waste. She connected this theme with the G20 Leaders' Delhi Declaration commitment to environmentally sound waste management and substantial waste reduction by 2030.
Circular Economy and Sustainability
- The President commended the adoption of circular waste management in the second phase of the Swachh Bharat Mission. The focus on recycling and reusing items aligns with the principles of sustainable development.
Swachh Survekshan Dashboard Launch
- The President launched the Swachh Survekshan 2023 dashboard, emphasizing the importance of everyone's contribution to and participation in the survey.
Swachh Survekshan Awards
●The Swachh Survekshan Awards, launched in 2016, are part of the Swachh Bharat Mission initiated by the Government of India to promote cleanliness and sanitation in urban areas.
●The annual survey ranks cities based on various sanitation parameters like door-to-door waste collection, waste treatment, public toilet management, citizen participation, and innovation in sanitation practices.
●Winning cities and states receive recognition and financial incentives, aiming to motivate them to maintain and improve their sanitation standards.
●The survey relies heavily on citizen feedback, encouraging public involvement in sanitation. However, ensuring equitable and inclusive participation, particularly from marginalized communities, remains a challenge.
- The Swachh Survekshan Awards 2023 celebrated the achievements of various stakeholders in promoting cleanliness and waste management, while also emphasizing the need for sustainable practices and the involvement of all citizens in the Swachh Bharat Mission.
Must Read Articles:
CIRCULAR ECONOMY COALITION: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/circular-economy-coalition
Q. How has the Swachh Bharat Mission impacted sanitation and hygiene practices in India, and what are some of the key achievements and challenges faced in its implementation?