GS PAPER III: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Context: Kota farmer develops mango variety that bears fruits round the year.
More about news:
- A farmer from Kota, Rajasthan, has developed an innovative mango variety, which is a regular and round-the-year dwarf variety of mango called Sadabahar.
- It is resistant to most major diseases and common mango disorders.
- The fruit is sweeter in taste, comparable to langra and being a dwarf variety, is suitable for kitchen gardening, high-density plantation, and can be grown in pots for some years too.
- Besides, the flesh of the fruits, which is bourn round the year, is deep orange with sweet taste, and the pulp has very less fiber content, which differentiates it from other varieties.
- It is in the process of being registered under the Protection of Plant Variety and Farmers Right Act and ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), New Delhi.