Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.etvbharat.com
Context: Border Roads Organisation (BRO) utilizes 'Rejupave,' an indigenous road construction tech by CSIR-CRRI, for high-altitude bituminous roads near the India-China border in Arunachal Pradesh, designed for low/sub-zero temperatures' challenges.
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has adopted an indigenous road construction technology called 'Rejupave' to build high-altitude bituminous road sections near the India-China border in Arunachal Pradesh. This technology, developed by the CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CSIR-CRRI), is designed for constructing roads at low and sub-zero temperatures, particularly in challenging conditions.
Key features and benefits of the 'Rejupave' technology include:
- Lowering Production and Rolling Temperature: The technology reduces the production and rolling temperature of bituminous mixes by 30 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius. This is significant for construction in sub-zero temperatures and helps prevent heat loss during transit, even in snowfall conditions.
- Bio Oil-Based Asphalt Modifier: The asphalt modifier used in 'Rejupave' is bio oil-based. This modifier plays a crucial role in decreasing the heating requirements of bituminous mixes. Additionally, it helps in preserving the temperature of the bituminous mix during transportation.
- Extended Working Window: The technology extends the working window for road construction companies operating in challenging conditions, such as high altitudes. This allows for construction work to continue during adverse weather conditions, contributing to faster road infrastructure development.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction: The use of 'Rejupave' is expected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the eco-sensitive mountainous environment of Arunachal Pradesh. This aligns with environmental sustainability goals.
- Improved Long-Term Durability: Roads constructed using the 'Rejupave' asphalt modifiers in cold climatic regions are expected to have improved long-term durability. The technology enhances the resistance of roads to thermal cracking under low-temperature conditions, contributing to a longer lifespan.
- The implementation of 'Rejupave' is particularly crucial in regions like Arunachal Pradesh, where the construction and maintenance of high-altitude bituminous roads present unique challenges. By using this indigenous technology, the BRO aims to enhance the road infrastructure along the India-China border, a strategic priority for the central government to improve the operational capacity of the defence forces in the region.
Must Read Articles:
BORDER ROADS ORGANISATION: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/border-roads-organisation-project-dantak
Q. What is the significance of 'Rejupave' technology in recent news headlines?
A. It is a new social media platform
B. It is an indigenous road construction technology
C. It is a weather forecasting system
D. It is a space exploration project
Explanation: 'Rejupave' is an indigenous road construction technology that has been in the news due to its use by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) for constructing high-altitude roads near the India-China border.