Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: The Indian Navy on March 7 carried out a successful test-firing of a Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) from frontline warship INS Visakhapatnam.
The MRSAM has been jointly developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), and produced at Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), reflecting the Navy’s commitment to Atmanirbhar Bharat
Copyright infringement is not intended
About Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM):
- The network-centric and most advanced sleek missile has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI)in collaboration with public and private sector enterprises.
- With a strike range of nearly 100 km, the 4.5-meter-long supersonic quick-reaction missile weighs around 2.7 tonnes and can carry a payload of 60 kg.
- Each MRSAM unit comprises one command and control system, multi-functional surveillance tracking radar, threat alert radar, mobile launcher, combat management system and mobile power and radar power systems apart from the missile.
- It has been developed with cutting-edge technology to neutralise airborne threats like jets, subsonic and supersonic cruise missiles, anti-tank systems and rockets.
- The air version of the MRSAM system has already been handed over to Indian Air Force (IAF).
- Travelling at a speed of Mach 2, it can achieve high degrees of manoeuvrability at the terminal phase.
Q) Which of the following statements is/are correct with reference to Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile?
a. It is an inter-service military exercise involving the participation of the Indian Army, Air Force, Navy and the Coast Guard.
b. The exercise has been held annually.
I. Only a
II. Only b
III. Both a and b
IV. Neither a nor b
Answer: Option III