Leopard Print Frog
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- An unusual type of frog, named Santa Fe frog has been discovered by scientists from Argentina.
- It is a rare frog which has a unique leopard print on its skin.
- This frog was found in caves when it emerged out of them, mainly during night time, in its call for mate.
- A Santa Fe frog project is started to protect and secure the future of this amphibian.
- The scientists spent hours in finding the eggs and tadpoles of this frog.
Santa Fe frog
- It is a species of frog known by the scientific name Leptodactylus laticeps.
- It belongs to the family Leptodactylidae.
- It is an extremely rare species of frog which is endemic to Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay of South America. (found only in Great Chaco of South America).
- Chopping down of Dry Chaco.
- Dry chaco are the large forest region and dusty plains which are considered world's driest forests.
- These regions are restricted to eastern Bolivia, western Paraguay and northern Argentina.
- The forest regions are sparsely populated and are rich in biodiversity.
- Local communities hunt these frogs for food and international pet trade.
- Rapid deforestation in the region and subsequent loss of habitat.
Measures for conservation
- A project named Santa Fe frog project is being undertaken.
- This movement will focus on liaising with local community leaders, farmers, hunters, biologists, conservationists, and educators to protect the species.
- Especially for people who hunt this species for food and trade, many Interviews and workshops will be organized for sensitizing them.
- Public awareness and engagement campaigns to change the behaviours component of masses and to drive them towards conservation of the species.
- Help of local celebrities will be taken to shape right attitude of people.
- There are plans for extensive fieldwork for the purpose of detecting the population relicts.
- The global conservation status of this species will also be updated which will assist in creating an action plan to preserve and protect this species.
- Globally it falls in the Near Threatened category in the IUCN red list.
- However in Argentina it is considered Vulnerable.
Suggested article to Read:
Consider the following statements about Santa Fe frog:
1. These amphibians displays a unique leopard print on their skin.
2. These frogs are found only in south American countries of Boivia, Paraguay and Argentina.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. Both 1 and 2
D. Neither 1 nor 2