GOVERNANCE OF SPORTS IN INDIA
Copyright infringement not intended
- Recently Sports administration in India is in the news headlines for the wrong reasons.
- Both the All India Football Federation (AIFF) and the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) could be banned or suspended if elections to their executive body are not conducted immediately.
- Hockey India is also under the radar and a notice was sent by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) for the delay in conducting elections.
- The elections for the national football body have to be conducted by September 15. If not, India would face a FIFA ban.
- The IOA is also being warned of a possible suspension by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- The Supreme Court of India has appointed a Committee of Administrators to manage football in India.
- Last year the executive committee of the AIFF was dissolved for violating the Central government’s sports code.
- The Union Government introduced the Sports Code or National Sports Development Code in 2011.
- The code was introduced to ensure good governance practices in the management of sports at the national level without interfering with the autonomy of the national sports bodies.
- The Code laid down restrictions regarding age and tenure.
Current Sports Model in India – The existing model of governance of sports in India has two wings:
- One in which the government bodies are controlled by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS).
- This wing has institutions like the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and other institutions working towards promoting sports training under SAI.
- Sports Authority of India oversees the training of the athletes and coaches and also be responsible for the sports infrastructure development. The sports universities and schools also function under SAI.
- The other wing has the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- State Olympic Associations (SOAs) and the national and state Sports Federations (NSFs and SFs) come under the IOA.
- However, the MYAS provides financial and infrastructural support to the National and State Sports Federations and indirectly controls these federations through political representations.