GI LIST UPDATED
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Seven products of Uttar Pradesh got Geographical Indication tag (GI tag). These products are –
- Amroha Dholak
- Mahoba Gaura Patthar Hastashlip
- Mainpuri Tarkashi
- Sambhal Horn Craft
- Baghpat Home Furnishings
- Barabanki Handloom Product and
- Kalpi Handmade Paper
- As of May 2022, state of Uttar Pradesh is number one state in terms of GI-tagged handicrafts.
- It has a total of 36 GI tagged handicraft
- It has got 48 GI-tagged goods and just behind state of Tamilnadu (55 GI-tagged goods).
- It is a musical instrument which is made of natural wood of Mango, jackfruit or teakwood.
- Hollow blocks from wood is created and then fitted with animal skin (mostly goat skin) later.
- Around 300 small units make this musical instrument which provide employment to over 1,000 artisans.
- Artisans Welfare Society, Mohalla - Danishmandan, Amroha, Uttar Pradesh filed the application for Amroha Dhokal.
Baghpat Home Furnishings
- Since generations Baghpat and Meerut are known for their exclusive handloom home furnishing product and running fabrics in cotton yarn.
- It is to be noted that only cotton yarn are used in the handloom weaving process.
- Baghpat is famous for weaving on the frame loom instead of the pit loom.
- Directorate of Handloom and Textile Industries, Government of Uttar Pradesh and the Master Weavers Cooperative Society Limited filed the application for Amroha Dhokal.
Barabanki Handloom Product
- Famous for its handloom products, Barabanki and nearby areas have an annual turnover of 150 crore from 20,000 looms and employs more than 50,000 weavers.
- The application for the GI tag was filed by The Directorate of Handloom and Textile Industries, Government of Uttar Pradesh, along with Bhartiya Bunkar Sahkari Samiti Limited.
Kalpi Handmade Paper
- In the 1940 a follower of Gandhi, named Munnalal Khaddari, introduced the art of making this paper formally
- Handmade paper manufacturing at Kalpi is believed to be dated back into history.
- 200 small units give employment to 5,000 craftsmen.
- Hasht Nirmit Kagaj Samiti, Industrial Estate, Kalpi, Uttar Pradesh had filed for the GI tag.
Mahoba Gaura Patthar Hastashlip
- Mahoba Gaura is a type of unique and soft stone and the hastashilp refers to stone craft.
- The scientific name for the stone is Pyro Flight Stone which is radiant white-coloured stone.
- Cut pieces of this stone are used for making various craft items.
- It is a brass wire inlay work on wood, specially wooden Sandals, popular in Mainpuri of Uttar Pradesh.
- As the leather was considered unclean people preferred to use wooden sandals (Khadauns)
Sambhal Horn Craft
- This is related to the completely hand-made artwork on horn of animals.
- This raw material, horn, is procured from dead animals.
Must read Article:
Consider the following statements about GI tags:
1. These are provided by Geographical Indications Registry, Delhi.
2. UP tops the list in GI-Tagged Handicrafts.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. Both 1 and 2
D. Neither 1 nor 2