G-20 Research and Innovation Initiative (RIIG) Summit
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, Dr. Srivari Chandrasekhar welcomed delegates at the G-20 Research and Innovation Initiative (RIIG) Summit which started off in Mumbai on July 4, 2023.
Research and Innovation Initiative Gathering (RIIG) Summit
- The G-20 Research and Innovation Initiative Gathering (RIIG) Summit took place in Mumbai and it was chaired by the Secretary, Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- A total of about 107 foreign delegates, including Research Ministers from 29 G-20 members, invited guest countries and international organizations, participated in the meeting.
- India has taken forward the Research and Innovation Initiative (RIIG) during its Presidency in 2023 under the theme “Research and Innovation for Equitable Society”.
- A total of 5 RIIG meetings were hosted by India this year.
- The RIIG Inception Meeting was held at Kolkata, followed by four thematic conferences in:
- Ranchi on the theme: ‘Materials for Sustainable Energy’;
- Dibrugarh on the theme: ‘Circular Bioeconomy’,
- Dharamshala, on the theme: ‘Eco-Innovations for Energy Transition’; and in
- Diu, on the theme ‘Sustainable Blue-economy’.
- The meeting discussed and negotiated the draft Outcome document at the RIIG Summit.
- It marks the culmination of the G-20 science engagements that took place through series of meetings in different parts of India during India’s G-20 Presidency in 2023.
- The G-20 is an intergovernmental forum comprising 19 countries and the European Union (EU) that works to address major issues related to the global economy, such as international financial stability, climate change mitigation and sustainable development. It consists of most of the world’s largest economies, including both industrialized and developing nations.
READ A TO Z ABOUT G-20:
Q. India's G20 presidency is inclusive, ambitious, decisive, and action-oriented, since the country is taking the charge at a time when the world is grappling with geopolitical tensions, economic slowdown and rising food and energy prices. Comment.