Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The ongoing war in Ukraine could affect the efforts to save European Bison.
European Wood Bison
- The European Wood Bison, also known as the wisent is a European species of bison.
- It is one of two extant species of bison, alongside the American bison.
- The European bison is the heaviest wild land animal in Europe, and individuals in the past may have been even larger than their modern-day descendants.
- During late antiquity and the Middle Ages, bison became extinct in much of Europe and Asia, surviving into the 20th century only in northern-central Europe and the northern Caucasus Mountains. During the early years of the 20th century, bison were hunted to extinction in the wild.
- The species – now numbering several thousand and returned to the wild by captive breeding programmes – is no longer in immediate danger of extinction, but remains absent from most of its historical range.
- The European bison is one of the national animals of Poland and Belarus.
- The European bison (Bison bonasus), Europe's largest land mammal, has moved from Vulnerable to Near Threatened due to continued conservation efforts.
Q. Consider the following statements:
1. The European bison is the heaviest wildland animal in Europe.
2. It is critically endangered.
3. The European bison is one of the national animals of Poland and Belarus.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
A) 1 and 3 only
B) 2 only
C) 3 only
Answer: A) 1 and 3 only