DIGITAL LIFE CERTIFICATES
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.india.gov.in
Context: The Ministry of Personnel, in collaboration with the Department of Pension and Pensioners' Welfare (DoPPW), has launched a campaign called DLC Campaign 2.0 to enhance the "ease of living" of Central Government pensioners in India.
Digital Life Certificates (DLCs) and Jeevan Pramaan
- The campaign revolves around generating Digital Life Certificates (DLCs), also known as Jeevan Pramaan, for Central Government pensioners.
- A DLC serves as a way to digitally verify a pensioner's existence, ensuring they continue to receive their pension benefits.
Ease of Submission
- The initiative aims to simplify the DLC submission process for pensioners. Notably, elderly pensioners aged above 90 years and those between 80-90 years old can conveniently submit their DLCs from their homes, various locations, offices, and bank branches.
- By the end of the first week of DLC Campaign 2.0, more than 16 lakh DLCs were generated.
- Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh emerged as leading states, contributing significantly to the campaign. In the first week alone, an estimated 4 lakh DLCs were generated.
- The campaign's scope is extensive, covering 500 locations in 100 cities across the country.
- The target audience comprises 50 lakh pensioners from the Central Government.
- The campaign operates through collaboration with multiple stakeholders, including 17 Pension Disbursing Banks, various Ministries and Departments, Pensioners' Welfare Associations, UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), and MeitY (Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology).
Introduction of Face Authentication Technology
- To streamline the DLC submission process, a breakthrough technology was introduced. This technology relies on Face Authentication and is based on the Aadhar database.
- Pensioners can now submit their DLCs using any Android-based smartphone, eliminating the need for external biometric devices. This development occurred in November 2021, making the process more accessible and affordable for pensioners.
- The Department of Pension & Pensioners' Welfare (DoPPW) is actively engaged in creating awareness among pensioners about the DLC-Face Authentication technique.
- Various awareness methods are employed, such as strategically placed banners and posters in offices, bank branches, and ATMs.
Assistance for Vulnerable Pensioners
- Recognizing the challenges faced by some pensioners, particularly those who are elderly, ill, or weak, bank officials are offering assistance. They visit the homes and hospitals of such pensioners to facilitate the DLC submission process.
- The campaign aims to streamline Digital Life Certificate (DLC) submissions for Central Government pensioners by utilizing innovative technology and collaborating with stakeholders. Its success is driven by nationwide outreach, collaborative efforts, and user-friendly technology, ensuring a seamless experience for all eligible pensioners.
Must Read Articles:
Jeevan Praman Patra: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/jeevan-praman-patra
Q. What are the key components of India's social security system, and how has the government addressed the challenges in ensuring social security for its diverse population?