JEEVAN PRAMAN PATRA
8th December, 2022 Polity and Governance
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Union Minister of State for Communications has informed the Lok Sabha that the Jeevan Pramaan Patra have been disbursed by the Government using the network of Postmen and Gramin Dak Sevaks.
- The Minister highlighted that the department under ‘Aadhar enabled Payment System’ is providing a doorstep banking facility to India Post Payments Bank customers, pension and other ‘Direct Benefit Transfer’ payments, and an Aadhar Enrolment facility for children up to 0-5 years age.
Jeevan Pramaan Patra
- It is a biometric-enabled digital service for pensioners of the Union Government, State Government or any other Government organization.
- More than One Crore families in India can be classified as pensioner families.
- This includes pensioners from the Union Government, various State and UT Governments, various other government agencies, and various public sector enterprises.
- After retirement pensioners need to provide life certificates to authorized agencies like Banks, Post offices etc., following which their pension is credited to their account.
- Pensioners to get this life certificate is required to either personally present themselves before the Pension Disbursing Agency or have the Life Certificate issued by the authority where they have served earlier.
- The requirement of personally being present in front of the disbursing agency or getting a life certificate usually becomes a major hindrance for the pensioner.
- It causes a lot of hardship and unnecessary inconvenience, particularly for the aged and disabled pensioners.
- Many government employees post-retirement choose to move to a different location.
- “Jeevan Pramaan Patra” or Digital Life Certificate seeks to address the Pensioners' problem by digitizing the whole process of securing the life certificate.
- It aims to simplify the process of getting the certificate and make it easier for pensioners.
- Now, the pensioners' are not required to physically present him/her in front of the disbursing agency or the certification authority, This hugely benefits the pensioners and cut down on unnecessary logistical hurdles.